Saturday, April 30, 2011

Cookbooks




Over the last few weeks, I've been thinking about vegetarianism again, mainly thanks to my vegan/vegetarian friends and the inspiration from Thirty-Day-Vegetarian Zack Reeves. So, I stopped by Hastings this afternoon and picked up three cookbooks.




The Rationale:


1) Ever since my braces, I can't eat or enjoy meat very much anyway. Hard to chew. *Practical




2) My weight refuses to budge. Granted, addition of Nutella and subtraction of Zumba, thanks to a nonstop writing and research schedule, has not been helpful. But I sense a disturbing upward trend in my body's ability to hang on to weight, letting me know things will only get more difficult. *Wellness




3) I've been exhausted and sick so many times this semester. Cleaning up my eating habits might be a step in the right direction. I want to experiment with quinoa and other difficult-to-pronounce grains. I plan to buy local bread and eat lots of fruits and vegetables. And Nutella. *Wellness




4) My income is so tight, and meat is so expensive... *Financial




5) I will practice vegetarianism as a protest against the time I was told that quitting vegetarianism was one of the criteria I must do in order for my then-husband to come back to me. (Because vegetarianism is Buddhist and anti-Christian, so I was informed). I'm feeling pretty pissy about that whole deal today. I was a vegan from 1992-1996. *Personal




6) I feel freaked out by the complexity of food. In trying to eat more simply, I think this will ease my overwhelming confusion when I buy food. Buying food, for me, is incredibly stressful and overwhelming. So I avoid it and eat bad things out of the freezer. *Environment




There you have it. So shall it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment