Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bottle Trees



We took a long walk one day in a direction we don't normally go. Outside a house, I spied a bottle tree. These typically-southern trees are constructed to capture evil spirits during the night, trapping them inside the glass until the sun can destroy them in the morning. I want to make one! It might be a nice weekend project- once I get done with my paper-writing and polyurethane-ing my buffet.


The picture on the top is a bottle tree made with glass insulators- which I collect and haven't been able to figure out what to "do" with them. I normally recycle wine bottles, but some of them are so gorgeous (because I buy wine according to the shape of the bottle I like and/or the label!) that I hate to throw them out. The picture on the bottom is from Arkansas. This has given me some great ideas.

If you watched "Because of Winn-Dixie," the character of Gloria Dump, played by Cicely Tyson, has bottle trees in her back yard.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information. I saw some bottle trees in Tucson, AZ. And am in a group that does blue bottle trees. But I never knew they had a history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the history- thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in he process of writing an article about blue bottle trees. May I have permission to use your photos? I will site your web page.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete