Thursday, July 21, 2011

"Bach at Noon"

I was walking by Grace Episcopal on Broadway/ 10th early this week and noticed their "Bach at Noon" poster, so I stopped in on Wednesday during my lunch hour to listen. The church is 200 years old but moved to its current location in 1843. Imagine! -that curve in Broadway dominated by the Gothic
building when nothing else much
stretched north.
The noon music was in the church's chantry (not exactly sure what that means) and offered a much welcomed
respite from the hot weather. The tiny tiles in the floor shook every 90 seconds when the R train rumbled below my feet like bass notes. On the pipe organ, the organist played "Allein Gott in der Hoh" and "Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier" and "Vom Himmel hoch." If Mozart is the heart and Beethoven is the fingers, then Bach is the brain. I closed my eyes (when not surreptitiously taking pics) and let the music flow through me. I was already dizzy and nearly sick from spending the morning reading about graphic ancient abortion practices (yes, urgh) after my 20 block commute in 95 degree heat. I liked the chantry and the people who came in to sit, to listen, to rest- students, tourists, the homeless.




No comments:

Post a Comment