Saturday, March 12, 2011

memory out loud


I've been reading and thinking lately about emergent properties- collective joy, revivals, mob mentality - and the way a memory can escape you. I've noticed over the past few years a very odd phenomenon. I can think about an event from my past, but once I tell someone- speaking the words out loud- the memory takes on a life of its own when it leaves my tongue. It takes a certain shape that I no longer recognize; it flies away. This is so strange and a big part of what made me want to start writing things down again. I'm trying to capture a part of myself. Does the memory join some sort of collective memory?


Carrie, remember the fireflies? The way the jar fogged with delicate breath! The mown-lawn Arkansas night smell!

No comments:

Post a Comment