Sunday, March 27, 2011

Right of Center


I have this tendency to take a photograph with the following characteristic: the object placed in the lower right hand of the picture. Lately, I've tried to force myself to place the object on the lower left hand side but it feels completely unnatural. Last night, James and I shot around 150 pictures of an engaged couple. The day was cold and miserable- I'd spent most of the afternoon asleep. The thing about forcing yourself to participate in the creative process, though, is that the flow of energy catches you and sweeps you along- no matter how you felt beforehand. So maybe part of changing the spacing and focal points of my photos is like forcing myself to be creative? Hoping to work more on this. I spent my scholarship money on a down payment to go to New York this summer and now can't buy the Nikon I wanted...but I'll keep borrowing James' camera and playing with my iPhone - which suprisingly takes not bad pictures. There's also a question of how serious I get about all this- I want to continue to take photography classes and get better, along with reading a million books on my list, working on my Ph.D., teaching, applying for funding, visiting my family.... {photograph by Ami, taken January 2011 in Vieques, Puerto Rico}

1 comment:

  1. The beautiful photo above was taken by our author.

    ReplyDelete