Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Frog Prince


The Frog Prince

 

This is how it was that year, after four thousand

winters by the pond.  My brothers falling

from the Egyptian sky.  Bearing the blame
of skin disfigurations for a century.  Knees added
to witches’ broths with incantations.  The jelly
of our blood thickening lakewater.  I witness my misery
reflected in the mirrored eyes of a fly.

If you could have seen
my skin flashing celery-green in the
underwater of mornings, expertly
picking through the most delicate of mosquitoes
and minnows for my table. 

Four thousand and one winters. Surely
now you understand my coldness.

I’ve burrowed through the tangles
of your hair for the last time, dug
into that small frog-space, waited
to feel a breath of kindness from you.
Waited for you to take me under your
sheets, or warm me with your mouth. 

When you wake you’ll find I’ve
left like a thief, taking your precious
golden ball, your silk gloves, the claw-foot
bathtub.

No comments:

Post a Comment